Monday, February 27, 2012

Standing Up for Religions or Anti Religions

True story:

Person A is Jewish, Person B is a Born Again Christian, Person C is an Atheist and Person D is a Deist.

Person A comes in the break room all mad that Mormon's have baptized deceased Jewish people. She finds it Anti-Semantic. She is totally offended.

Person B asks, "Why? If they are crazy enough to think they could baptize them once they are dead...let them think that. You know and I know that it's crazy."

Person A is still offended. She said, "My blood is boiling as we speak!"

Person B says, "Our religion thinks they are crazy to. But if they tried to do that to someone in our faith, I'd just think they are crazy."

Person C says, "This is why I'm an Atheist. You don't have to get pulled into any of this bullshit."

Person A says, "There is no such thing as an Atheist."

Person D says, "What you said is just as offensive as Morman's baptizing deceased people of different faiths!"

Person A giggles and says, "Not really because being an Atheist isn't a religion."

Person D says, "Just because he's an Atheist doesn't mean he doesn't have values or morals! He's a person that decided that religion isn't real. The story of Adam, Eve and a snake - it's all fiction. Books of religion are nothing more than to share stories."

Person A giggles some more and says, "He's not offended. Are you offended person C?"

Person C says, "No, I'm used to this. He goes on to talk about people he knows that are religious and not accepting of people different then them. How he is accepting.

That my folks is how my lunch is just about everyday. I work with a Catholic, a devote Jewish lady, a handful of Born Again Christian's and an Atheist. In my previous job I worked with people that were Muslim. Before that I worked with people that were Hindu. My mom is Lutheran. My dad was raised as a Christian Scientist. My Dad thought the religion that he grew up with was completely crazy. I'm always in the middle of all that. It does make me mad when people put other people down for what they believe or do not believe. It's America, the land of the free. One should be free to believe or not believe in what they want. It saddens me when others feel the need to put each other down. I think it's ok to disagree, but not ok to laugh at ones thoughts. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post and I completely agree with Person C. I have a lot of friends and family and not all of them are the same religion, nor do all of them believe there is a God. They are all GOOD PEOPLE and that is what counts with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well..... I agree with person D too when he says

    Just because he's an Atheist doesn't mean he doesn't have values or morals! He's a person that decided that religion isn't real. The story of Adam, Eve and a snake - it's all fiction. Books of religion are nothing more than to share stories."


    I am not atheist but C and D have some good points. A and B people sound like they don't get out much.

    ReplyDelete