Monday, November 8, 2010

A Healthier Cookie

Tropical Traditions gave me a jar of Gold Label Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to try out.



I have to be honest at first I had never heard of Coconut Oil. I didn't know how to cook with it. I had to figure out if it was even healthy to use in the kitchen.

Luckily I have a sister that works in health and nutrition. She told me that it is healthy. I also read up on Coconut oil before it arrived to me. This is straight from Tropical Traditions website:

As a cooking oil, its chemical structure is kept in tact and therefore is resistant to mutations of fatty acid chains even when used in higher cooking temperatures, unlike most vegetable oils. Research shows that the medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil boosts the body’s metabolism, raises body temperatures, and helps provide greater energy which can lead to weight loss. For hundreds of tasty recipes from people who use coconut oil, visit FreeCoconutRecipes.com.

I used it on the boy's skin after a bath. I love how it smells and melts into their skin! Isaak always tries to eat the lotion. This is perfect for him because he can eat it.

I plan on using it to make a stir fry. Tofu is one of my newer loves. I'll post the recipe when I make this!

We also made healthier cookies! I'm a baker. Even though I'm trying to loose weight I still love to bake around this time of year. I've been trying to bake using healthier things in the mix.

The Recipe I Use for Chocolate Chip, Cherry Chip Cookies 

I love that these cookies contain oatmeal! 
Coconut Oil can replace butter!

Start:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees.
Cream the following together:
  1. 1 cup Coconut Oil
  2. 1 cup white sugar
  3. 1 cup brown sugar
Add:
  1. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  2. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. 1 teaspoon baking powder

Blend in:
  1. 2 cups flour
  2. 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
  3. 6 ounces chocolate chips, 6 ounces cherry chips.
  4. 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Finish:

  1. Spray a pan well. 
  2. I used a medium Pampered Chef Scoop. 
  3. Bake until light brown.
  4. Place on a cooling rack when they've hardened up a little.
  5. They taste good warm (straight out of the oven), room temperature and cold (we sometimes freeze them).
  6. This made 55 cookies. We had a few and the rest went in the freezer for Christmas time. They tasted better then with using butter!


Disclaimer:
The opinions on this post are my personal take on the products. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.
I am not compensated to provide my opinion except for receiving the products themselves to test out.
If you have questions about this post please contact me at: alissa4illustration@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment